Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Burn Rate

I've searched a few times to learn how many calories per hour a person uses for inline skating versus other exercises and I've found various answers. Last week it occurred to me that calories per mile might be a better measure. Googling that instead brought me to Phil Lenihan's In-line skating Calorie Usage Chart, which gives calories per hour for various body weights and paces. Phil credits "Rollerblade / University of Massachusetts Fitness Study" for the original data.

Plotting Phil's numbers made me think that Phil made some transcription or arithmetic errors. I haven't found the study he cites, so I reverse-engineered his numbers into a formula for my own spreadsheet. For example, if I weigh 140 pounds and skate 10 miles per hour (both of which were true today), I use about 500 calories per hour. I don't expect these numbers to be very accurate, just to be a general guide.

Today: 13 miles. This year: 118.7 miles.

No comments: